Christmas Pasts...

Okay... post 3 in the same day.. I have a lot to unload. Including... CHRISTMAS LETTERS... cause I suck. I'm horrible about cards.. I can even get them done, and never send them... why? I don't actually know. I have stamps from last Christmas, still in my wallet. Not on cards... what is WRONG with me? Either way... I have written letters out, and just never sent them out. What a shame. I'm going to put them both here, from the last two Christmases. Sorry, not sorry. Enjoy!

The Broughton Family   
Christmas 2016!



As most of you know, 2016 saw the Broughton’s move to Minnesota. Allow me to bore you with some of the details. :)

In 2015, we started telling friends and family that we were planning to move. There weren’t many believers, but the plan moved along. In January, Jon and I celebrated our 12 year anniversary by taking a trip to Minneapolis to check out the state in the winter. I was already determined to live here, so I would not be budged from that plan. However, we drove 3 hours Sunday morning to attend the church we were considering, and fell in love! Not just with the area blanketed in snow, but with the people. Those we spoke to were so kind, and friendly, and instantly put us on their prayer list. We had found our church!!

February, March and April came and went with planning, and replanning, and slight packing, and convincing loved ones that we ARE indeed leaving. May brought panic and more packing… but never a doubt that we were moving, and that God wasn’t just with us, but he was leading us. 

June brought boxes and boxes! So many boxes! At one point, I thought we had too many.. then I ran out and needed more. There was purging, and packing, and chucking, and dismantling. Goodbyes, and hugs. Some tears, and laughs. I think people finally started to believe us.

July. July arrived, and we spent the 4th packing, then climbing up on top of our roof for a family viewing of the fireworks. A sweet time together before the move. A few days after that, we sent the girls to Washington with Grandpa Bell, to meet with Grandma and a visit with their Aunts and Uncle and cousins. Jon and I spent the time packing MORE, and cleaning. We ended up not being ready, and thanks to a couple of VERY sweet friends who showed up with food, and help.. we were still able to leave, even if it was 2 days late. We took 2 days to drive a U-haul, and friend in my jeep to Minnesota. We arrived and had MORE help show up to unpack the truck into a storage Unit. In the rain. A LOT of rain. So many sweet friends… old and new. July really made us feel loved. We were able to celebrate Miya’s birthday with Jon’s and My parents, and that was special.

August was spent sick. Jon was back in Nevada to sell his business and get the house finished and sale ready. The girls and I were in Minnesota, being sick. Adjusting, and acclimatizing.. that’s fun. Eventually, we pulled through. Still alive!

In September, the girls started school at Perham-Dent public school and Jon finally joined us for good in MN. Public school is a change, and it’s had some challenges, but the girls love their teachers, and they’re making friends. They also love riding the bus. I don’t know, it’s a thing for them. They really love their bus driver too! It helps that they know he does a ministry in the prisons, and that he loves Jesus. He also stopped by one evening and met Jon and I, and gave the girls, each, a wooden cross necklace. Jon started his job at Lund Boats, and he loves it. The hours, and the work are just what he was wanting. :)

October brought Adin and Jon’s birthdays.. and SO MUCH COLOR. Watching the leaves change from day to day, and week to week. So amazing. This was our first real Autumn, except Jon. We took advantage of the lovely weather and colors to go to a corn maze/pumpkin patch farm; walking through Maplewood Park; driving to Bemidji; and climbing a fire tower. The family reached the top of this ridiculously tall structure.. I made it halfway. Could NOT go any higher. Still got a good view. We were also invited to a bonfire at a new friend’s home, and the fellowship there with church family was fantastic.

November started with Kera’s birthday, and watching for snow. We checked the weather all the time, just WAITING! Then, it happened! We got a blizzard, complete with a snow day for the girls.  I was so excited, watching everything around us get covered up with fluffy snow! My parents arrived for Thanksgiving on a foggy day.. and then it turned to rain. My lovely snow was rained away while my parents were here, and right after they left. Sad sad sad. Thanksgiving was still a fantastic time as a family, and time spent with new church family has been wonderful! We even got to go to ANOTHER bonfire where kids were sledding on whatever snow was left on a hill. Everyone had a blast!

Now it’s December. I’m currently watching snow fall on the lake outside as I type this. We went into the woods behind the resort to take our family photos, and came back to have hot chocolate. Yes it’s cold, but I love the feeling in my cheeks! I love watching the girls romp through the snow, and come in with pink nose and cheeks. The children and the dog are just in heaven, here. The new wildlife, and the beautiful scenery have kept us all enraptured. I keep expecting to be told we have to leave, that I don’t get to stay; then another season change I get to witness. This adventure has been surreal and exciting. We’ve loved every bit! I know there’s more to come, and I welcome it! 


Merry Christmas from our family to yours! We love you, and miss you!


                                                      The Broughton Family   
Christmas 2017!



Friends and Family… FRAMILY! I have finally gotten around to writing our Christmas   letter! Maybe I’ll get them into the mail before Christmas. I guess we’ll see.

We started our year of 2017 enjoying our first Winter. Yes, ENJOYING. We were living on the lake, and between the ice covered lake, and the snow everywhere, Minnesota has proven to be a GORGEOUS winter wonderland! Yes it’s cold.. but we still love it! We also celebrated 13 years of marriage! VERY happy marriage!
In March, I was able to start a new job! I started detailing boats at a Lund Boat dealer… so Jon works where they are made, and I work where they are sold. I LOVE my job, and the crazies I work with!

In April, we relocated to a home near the church when the Lodge was being prepared to open back up for the Summer season. It was an answer to prayer, and it has been a pretty good shift. The girls are in a better school, Jon travels a shorter commute, and we have friends who live closer. I’m the only one who travels longer for work, but being seasonal, it’s less of a big deal. Besides, the drive is LOVELY.

In June, Jon and I were able to sneak away for a weekend trip to Kansas City. The plan was to pick up some heirloom furniture from Jon’s Aunt and Cousin, but on the way we were able to meet up in Knoxville,IA with his parents for some races and cookies! *seriously AMAZING cookies* 

In July, we had visits from both sets of Grandparents, and they were great visits. Lake, fishing, hiking, taking advantage of the wonderful outdoors in the area! Jon was able to borrow a boat from work, and that was fantastic fun! I’d only ever been in a Lund boat on a trailer parked on concrete… they’re even BETTER on  the water! After that, Jon was able to find an older, small Lund so we can take the girls on the lake to go fishing any ol’ time! We enjoyed celebrating Miya’s 10th birthday! All 3 girls are NOW in double digits!!

In August… we found a surprise! We discovered we are pregnant. Quite the surprise.. since we both thought we were done. Clearly, God had other plans, the way he always does! Now, I have been praying for a change of heart for Jon, since I have wanted another since Miya was born… however, I had relinquished  that idea, and resolved to being done, and working toward empty nesting. Silly me. August ALSO included a fun trip to Kansas City, again. To meet up with my sister and her fantastic family to watch the solar eclipse. It was AMAZING, even though it was completely overcast and raining. I don’t regret a BIT of it!

September was the month we FINALLY announced our news to our parents (and the rest of the    world). We were able to announce our new addition in a VERY fun, and entertaining way.. with wall hangings and pictures. Jon’s parents seemed to pick it up really quickly. My mom, kinda let me down! Took her about 10 minutes to figure it out, and my sister-in-law had to point it out. She’s losing her touch. *love you, Mom
We started October off by celebrating Adin’s 13th birthday! She’s officially a TEENAGER! WHAT?! I’m still a little taller, and I’ll hold to that as long as I can! She can now wear makeup, though she chooses not to, most of the time… I don’t know where that comes from. Sweet girl really likes her freckles! 
November brought Kera’s 12th birthday, so now she’s looking forward to NEXT year, when SHE can wear makeup. Kera is the most eager of the girls to meet a baby sibling, and she’s hoping for a boy. She hasn’t really given be a solid reason on her hopes, I think just because it’d be different.
December! We started this month with a gender scan!! The measurements were great, and we got to see our Button move  around and get irritated about being pushed. I’m already SO IN LOVE with this baby! Cliche, but I don’t care. I see this baby as the answer to my 10 years of  prayer!

Button. We have taken to calling the baby, Button.. since we didn’t know the gender for a while, and giving baby some sort of name made conversation with the girls easier. We still haven’t settled on a name… so baby is still Button. To reveal the gender of Button, we made everyone play a game on Facebook. I think it went well, and I was laughing SO HARD, I almost died of a coughing fit! *exaggeration*  Anyways! Our sweet, baby Button. Little one who likes to suck fingers, and kick Mama’s belly button?! We’re having a BOY! So, not only did God hear my prayers for a 4th child.. but also that I’d have a son. A Broughton Boy. I’m over the moon happy, and I don’t remember being this stupid happy, since being engaged to Jon. The impending adventure, and answer to prayer, just real Joy! 
Not only have we had a very busy year, apparently, and such amazing growth in our family.. but our little community here continues to grow, as well! We have LOVED becoming more rooted in our church here! We have become members, Leaders in Awana (Jon:Games, Hayley:Sparks), and taken on the “Activities Director” role as a team. We have also joined a small group with other parents from different churches. We’ve been going through Revelation… cause unraveling the mysteries of small people isn’t enough! HA! 
We love the group we’ve collected around us, and every week we feel more and more confident that God brought us here for a reason. We are already shown so much love, and support. We will continue to thank God for His provision, His guidance, and of course for His people. Without their part in our story, this year could have been exponentially more difficult, and straining. In the midst of the trees, it’s quite difficult to see the forest.. and I find God always sends a little message through a sweet text from a friend, or a message on Facebook. Life isn’t easier or harder in a new place; it’s just different. Different can be beautiful!

Comments

  1. You make me want to cry, and move. LOL. I'll reality check myself this winter when I whine about 50 degrees.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mystery Gifter

Welcome to our World

Reflections